Saturday, February 9, 2008

research and work



This is an excerpt from a book with resources for the handicapped and disabled from the seventies. Disappointingly, it's segment on people with upper limb issues was only a page and a half. Nice idea though if anyone out there is having some arthritis problems - the also recommend those triangular pencil sleeves as well.

Here is a basic pdf of how the project is developing so far (including a history of commonly used tools for one-handers):
www.pantomyme.com/onearmed/feb5.pdf


I'm currently working on defining the project scope a little more clearly, creating a booklet to present my concept to local hospitals and persons to try and find people who may be willing to work with me. Below are two pages of concept sketches I've been working on which lead me to realize my main goal for the project is to make sure people can already use what they have. I don't want anyone to have to buy a new set of needles just to use this.

More sketches to follow soon.


3 comments:

redkaci said...

My mother has had several strokes leaving her paralyzed on the entire left side. Just last week she asked me to see if I could figure out a way for her to knit (simple) again. We've decided that it will be easiest for her to work with bulky yarn and on felting (very forgiving) projects. I'll be anxious to see your progress. Her obstacles are the wheelchair and a very think waistline.

redkaci said...

That was supposed to read "thick" waistline, not think....

Beck said...

Oddly enough the same thing happend to a fellow's aunt who approached me to begin with about finding a solution. Your mother sounds very similar.Great idea about the bulky yarn and felting.
Scribble lace might be an ok technique too? I'm not sure if the finer weight yarn will be too difficult to handle?